8.22.2012

A "Good" Baby

Tomorrow is my due date, and since there is no baby here yet, I've been ruminating on life with a newborn. It has been almost two years since I've taken care of a newborn. I'm not too worried about picking it all up again, even if this baby is completely different than Medea. In fact, I hope some things about this baby are completely different than Medea. Gotta mix it up a bit, ya know?
But as I'm waiting impatiently, I hear other new moms being asked how their babies are sleeping, or eating, or if they are on a schedule or whatnot. Generally, do they have a "good" baby? Well, what is a "good" baby? If my baby sleeps for 20 minutes at a time every two hours, does that make him or her a "good" baby or a "bad" baby? What if the baby has colic? Does that make the baby bad? What do I do with a "bad" baby?
I wish people would stop asking new moms if they have a "good" baby. All it does is add to the stress and worry that maybe they aren't doing something right, or they aren't doing the best they can. I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" baby. Babies are babies. They are tiny, adorable humans whose brains are not fully cooked yet, and as such, rely on us to meet their every need, and their only means of communication is a series of screams, wails, cries, coos and other throaty noises. So next time you see a mom with a new baby, don't ask how the baby is sleeping, or eating, or if they are generally a "good" baby. Just ask how things are going, and let it go from there.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

1Great advice! I hope you don't have to wait to much longer to meet your sweet little one! I'm excited for you guys!

Cass said...

Thanks, T! I'm super-excited.