1.02.2005

Trapped by Language

Today is my day off, so while Russ was at work, I decided to camp out in front of the tv...
I ended up watching Sunday afternoon news on CBC. The death toll resulting from the tsunami has now reached 150 000, and there are still bodies washing up on shore in some places...
They did a recap of the week's events, as well as interviewed various Canadian survivors. I can't wrap my brain around it. I just can't. I see the video, hear the stories, read the articles, and I just can't imagine the horror going on in those stricken countries. Indonesia's death toll alone is over 80 000. At moments like this, it makes me so thankful to be in Canada, yet I feel guilty enjoying my cushy bed when people are sleeping on a dirt floor in an open-air temple, their whole lives having been swept away by water. There is a little boy in India who has a hole in his heart, and is to have surgery on the 10th, but his mother doesn't want to leave the temple where they are staying because she will lose her place to bring him back to to recover. Jan 08th there is a national memorial in Ottawa at noon. All flags on government and federal buildings are to be lowered to half-mast today...there is much to think about, and reflect on. Welcome to 2005.

No comments: